Thursday, April 25, 2013

Ten years



We have been spinning dizzily around the sun for ten years now as mother and child. Time is rushing by faster and faster. I don't say that because I am old but because it is true. Or maybe because I am old. But that's not the important part. As my oldest child proves to me exactly how much he is growing up by measuring in at a smidge shy of five feet tall, at least I can turn to my youngest and cling to her babyhood. Very comforting. Or so I thought. Apparently my 5 year old doesn't have this heartbreaking need to remain my baby forever. In fact she is pretty much done with it.

This week, this very week, as I celebrate my big boy's big milestone and come to terms with a decade of motherhood blurring behind me, she has embraced independence. "Mama, help me read this book," and "Could you help me ride my bike now?" have been replaced with, "Mama! I read these books all by myself!" and "You can let go now."

So I hold them very tightly and let go. They are beautiful, even through these tear filled eyes, as they spin wildly past me. I am wonderstruck and thrilled and dizzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment