Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Panhandling

 
"Mama says it's okay to sit on the corner and beg for money but you shouldn't direct traffic."

How do you tell this lovely group of people that what your 5 year old daughter just said is not some hilarious childish misinterpretation, but actually, exactly what you said? How is it that I haven't learned that anything I say can, and will, be repeated at the most awkward moment and without any hint of context?

As I always do in these situations, I resort to blushing and babbling. I am sure the logical explanation I am trying to express is included in the words spilling from my mouth but the polite smiles I am getting tell me that it isn't transmitting clearly. To avoid this, I have tried playing it off like I have no idea what this kid is talking about. Unfortunately she will insist upon refreshing my obviously failing memory which just increases the social discomfort and drags it out at the same time.

Why do my kids always want to chat with adults anyway? Why can't they just run off and play and save me from embarrassing explanations? Well, as long as it isn't that panhandling game. You know the one.  All the kids are playing it. They ride around the track on bikes and the youngest steps out, every time they go by, thrusting out a bucket and screeching, "Mooooney Pleeeeeeeease! Money for the hoooooomeless people!"

Really? That's just my kids?

Am I blushing? Umm...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment