Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Bard Before Breakfast



 
 
I climbed out of bed and pulled open the curtains. It was damp and cool. I scooped a book up from the floor where it had dropped when I fell asleep, and climbed back into bed. Moments later my son climbed into bed with me and asked me how to make a pond. He wanted to know where the water comes from and why it stays. We snuggled together and talked about groundwater, saturation and the water table. We talked about digging wells and digging in the sand at the beach. We talked about divining rods and different ways of getting water to the surface. He ran to get the Lehman's catalog to show me a different kind of pump he had noticed in there.

As I waited for him to return I became aware of the conversation in the next room. "Do you know what that means?" asked my ten year old. "Not really," answered his little sister. He then proceeded to explain to her the Shakespeare passage he had just read. "Do you want me to read more?" "Yes!" was her enthusiastic reply. And this cozy morning continued through bits of Richard II, The Tempest, and Macbeth until hunger dragged everyone downstairs for breakfast.

I made myself a cup of coffee and watched the school bus rumble by.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome is the only word I can think of at the moment for the morning you describe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome is right! If only they were all like that. :)

      Delete