Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Tooth Fairy




The tooth fairy never visited our house when my oldest son started losing his baby teeth. "I don't want the tooth fairy to come," he said. "Do you think I could put my tooth under my pillow and when I fall asleep you could come in, very quietly, without waking me up, and take my tooth and leave me some money?" "Um... I could try." But even that plan was abandoned and tooth fairies, real or otherwise, never received any of his baby teeth in exchange for cash.

When my second excitedly noticed his first loose tooth there really was no question about it. The tooth fairy had better be prepared because she would be expected to make an appearance. This tooth would be going under a pillow. But it didn't. That first baby tooth, the one that had graced a tiny mouth full of gums and drool before any others, was unceremoniously swallowed. It was there before he started eating that apple but it was certainly gone before he finished it. That night, instead of a tiny pearly tooth, a note was slipped under the pillow. The tooth fairy, being very understanding of these kinds of situations, held up her end of the bargain.

Tooth number two, the twin and companion of that very first baby tooth, held on for weeks longer than anyone expected. When it finally broke free it was quickly handed over to me for safekeeping. But it did not go under the pillow that night. My son had begun a dialogue with the tooth fairy and he declared, at bedtime, that it didn't feel right to leave the tooth without a note. It was set aside until the next day when a proper note could be created. I think the tooth fairy was thrilled.


No comments:

Post a Comment