Monday, May 20, 2013

Cadillac Day

There was a huge herd of Cadillacs in town this weekend, so of course we went to see them. Cadillacs are the Cadillac of automobiles after all. My son, the car buff, was eager to see his favorite models and discuss style and performance differences.
 

I learned a few things from him and was reminded of a few things I had forgotten. Things like built in ashtrays and car phones, analog clocks in dashboards, shag carpeting, and a total lack of seatbelts. My daughter said the lack of seatbelts was for comfort. I admit that the interiors of some of these cars looked ridiculously luxurious, but somehow I don't think the lack of seatbelts would make this mama very comfortable.
 
What I did find comforting is that, in car years, I am a classic. A classic! I like that so much better than middle-aged. And while I reflected on this... I was reflecting. Everything was so shiny! All of the sweeping curves of chrome became stylish funhouse mirrors. 
 
 


 
 Going to a car show with a kid who loves automobiles was so exciting. We met car owners whose enthusiasm was contagious. There were photo albums chronicling the salvage and loving restoration of classic cars by people who were passionate and dedicated enough to see these amazing projects through. There was the beauty of these machines themselves, balancing power, luxury and elegance in a humble utilitarian object. 

 This was an opportunity to see beautiful things and learn a bit about automotive history. (And giggle at my own reflection.)  But it was also about people who have a passion for something and who follow that passion. Today that passion just happened to be fabulous cars.












No comments:

Post a Comment